For this recording I am aiming for a mellow jazzy feel, these are the microphones I want to use:
Overheads: I will be using a Cascade Fat Head pair in the Blumlein technique.
Kick: SM 58
Snare: SM 57
Hi-hat: Pencil condenser
Cymbals: C1000s
I am not miking the toms up as they are not used in the song. I want a really warm, vintage sound for my drums, with a lot of emphasis on the cymbals, hence why I am miking them up.
This will be challenging to record as the genre and techniques are different from what we [me and the drummer] normally use. Usually, we record rock and are proficient at doing so. Using different mics and miking techniques will help extend our range of techniques and help us to become better at recording overall.
This song also poses a challenge for the drummer. This song is written to be sad and mellow; the drums are soft and the snare is on the off-beat. The drummer I am using is a rock/metal drummer and usually does not play with a metronome or guide track, which he will be doing in this recording. This will help him to become a better drummer.
No comments:
Post a Comment